Thursday, October 31, 2013

Like a Pterodactyl

OK, so I'm not up-to-date on my dinosaur names and maybe it isn't called a Pterodactyl anymore and I'm probably even misspelling it. I don't care. It's the dinosaur I'd most like to be. There's a song by Led Zeppelin called "The Battle of Evermore." Whenever I listen to it, I close my eyes and I become that flying dinosaur, gliding through the night, far above the shadowed treetops of a forest. I can feel my wing muscles tense, then relax, when I need to move my wings to maintain altitude. The air is warm and humid. I'm not hunting. I'm heading for the crags of a nearby mountain, to rest. Here's a link to the song, in case you're curious to know how it transports me so thoroughly into another being. And, no, I wasn't on hallucinogens, legal or otherwise.


I didn't get quite the same rush when I got up in my new wheelchair today, but it was a heady feeling, getting dressed, sitting up, and seeing something other than my room. I landed in the midst of a Halloween party, which was fun. But, as I had predicted, I was parked in one spot and left there, unable to move myself the smallest distance.

My lower back, which is not used to holding up my weight, began to get painful after an hour or so. I toughed it out for awhile, but finally asked to go back to bed. I want to get up tomorrow for my session with Therapist Mike, though. He's never seen me anywhere but in a bed, and wearing nothing other than a hospital gown. It would be nice if I appeared to be a normal human being for a change.

I feel like I should be elated and don't understand why I'm not. I'm happy about getting up in my chair, of course. Maybe I'm just worn out. It's amazing how tiring that was.

Also, my good friend, Jeff, will be out of town for a few days. Since he's my only visitor, other than my therapist, I miss him when he's gone. Life's a little extra lonely while he's away. But, this is the way my life tends to be, with a lot of alone time, and I've pretty much adapted to it. And now that I can get up, I can make some new friends. I had a lovely conversation with a lady named Mrs. Williams while we both waited in the hall, waiting to be taken to our respective rooms. That was extremely enjoyable. I look forward to more.

So I guess I can only be a free-flying dinosaur with a brain the size of a peanut in my daydreams. Daydreams are good, but making progress in reality is good, too. I can't choose between them, so I'll just find time for both.

Let yourselves fly free, dear friends and family. Life can change completely in an instant. Give into your daydreams sometimes. Total practicality isn't all it's cracked up to be.




No comments:

Post a Comment