Thursday, October 10, 2013

Sticks and Stones, Mostly Stones

I didn't write a blog entry yesterday because I had absolutely nothing to write about. Nothing happened all day. I was in a stupor, mentally, because I had zero stimulation, mental or otherwise. The day and night just flowed on with nary a ripple. That happens less often than it used to. In the not-so-distant past, practically every day was like that. I was too depressed and hopeless to rouse my interest in anything and there was certainly nothing in the vicinity of my bed that was in any way interesting. I'm reminded of that '70s song by Steve Miller, "Fly Like an Eagle" that went, "Time keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin' into the future...."

I gotta watch that kind of thing. When my son Mike was in high school, he and his friend, also named Mike, were hanging around the house. His friend said, "I'm bored!"

My son very quickly said, "No you're not! You're not bored!"

His friend, just as quickly said, "No! I'm not bored! Why am I not bored?"

I had a house rule that there was no excuse for boredom, and if they couldn't think of something to do, I would FIND something for them to do. It probably wouldn't be something they enjoyed, but they wouldn't be bored.

I still have this philosophy, only about myself. Now that I'm not overwhelmed by the darkness of hopelessness and despair, I really have no excuse for boredom. There's so much to do and learn via my internet connection. I don't know what I'd do without it. I may not be able to get out of bed, but I can go anywhere with my iPad.

Today I was learning about the spiritual uses of blue tigers eye stones. I read that it tends to soak up negativity so it's important to cleanse it regularly. I can't run warm water over my stones, and I can't set them on the window sill in the sun.

Then I read that if you gather your crystals around hematite, that will cleanse them. So I read about hematite. Interesting stuff. Then I found out that hematite is magnetic. I'm from the old school of computer users. To me, magnets and computers are a no-no kind of combination. I have limited space on my table, and keep my crystals in front of my iPad. So forget the hematite.

I also read that you can cleanse your crystals by blowing gently on them. That I can do. I can't say I'm completely convinced of the efficacy of using stones and crystals to accomplish spiritual things, but it's been years since I've touched anything of the earth -- not a leaf or a bush or a tree or the grass. The closest I've come are the dandelions my therapist and Lyra's daddy gave me. So these stones and crystals are not only beautiful, they connect me to the earth.

So that's how I kept myself from boredom today. There's so much more to learn and explore, I find myself looking forward to tomorrow's adventure.

Physically, nothing has changed. I'm still bedbound, still no sign of the special wheelchair I was promised more than two months ago, still no physical therapy I was promised a couple of weeks ago, still no treatment for a probable abscess that appeared on my back over a week ago. Looks like I'm going to have to throw some fits to get what I need. Sigh. I don't like doing that, but it's apparently going to have to happen if there's going to be any progress.

What's changed is my attitude and my perspective. I'm not mad at anyone, I don't even dislike them. This is just another bunch of obstacles I'll have to overcome.

Love and peace. May your road be smooth, but if it isn't, may your determination be strong.

These are blue tigers eye stones. Pretty, yes? As for the advertisement across the top, it's only fair for them to get credit for their photo, but I have no opinion one way or the other about this shop. I'll probably visit them after I'm done here. Might be a good place for me to visit.  I just grabbed this picture off Google Images.







No comments:

Post a Comment