Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Mischievous Me

It happened again. I don't know what has gotten into me, but I just can't seem to stop myself. One of my friends on Facebook posted something that prompted people to begin a discussion about vegetarianism. I don't mind if people stop eating meat as long as they don't want me to stop eating meat, too. But a lot of people get really worked up about it, almost as worked up as Christian proselytizers, and they practically foam at the mouth about why it's bad to eat meat. Not all vegetarians are this way, but there are a few of them who have crossed my path. 

I'm an omnivore and don't plan to change my ways. I've heard all the many reasons I should feel guilty, even that I should feel guilty about how badly animals are treated in commercial establishments while the animals are still alive.

If those commercial producers would listen to me, I would give them a tongue lashing that would make their ears bleed and they would change their ways. But they don't care what I think. I think they're irresponsible inhumane goons, for what it's worth. But I can't do anything about it. Hell, I don't even have a choice of what I eat anymore, most of the time. That's one of the drawbacks of living in an institution.

I may be a bit defensive about being an omnivore after those numerous lectures. Probably am. So I started talking about how plants feel pain and scream when they're picked and cooked or eaten in a salad. I ended the post, "How could you?"

Oh, boy. That livened up the discussion. They really set me straight about how that's not true. I was even told by my friend that the participant who was arguing the most vehemently is a Botonist, so I should believe her.

I just replied, "Heh heh heh"

I don't know if they got that I had been putting them on or not, or whether they got miffed. I haven't checked to see if there was any reaction. That's the problem with being mischievous. The outcome is usually uncertain. The best thing about it is that it makes me laugh, anyway.

Us bedbound paraplegics gotta get our laughs where we can.

Happiness to the lot of you. And if you were a participant in the aforementioned discussion, no malice was meant. I hope you can find the humor there.





No comments:

Post a Comment